Silverwing chts. 1 - 2
Name: ________________________________________________ Date:________________
Silverwing Chapters 1 and 2 “Shade” and “Tree Haven” p. 3 - 24
Answer in complete sentences:
1. Compare and contrast Shade and Chinook. Include both of their physical appearance and their personalities.
2. Explain why young bats had never seen their fathers.
3. Describe Tree Haven.
4. What do you think is meant by the statement: “It has nothing to do with fair or right or wrong, it’s just the way things are…” Describe a situation where you know the above statement is true. How do you feel about it?
5. Describe the many feelings Shade felt upon his return from glimpsing the sun.
6. What is the role of the owls in the animal world as described in Silverwing.
7. How did the elders discipline Shade for going to see the sun and why were the elders still worried about the owl?
8. What surprising revelation does Frieda make to Shade?
9. Think of three adjectives that describe Shade’s personality as we see it in these first two chapters. Then, using the graphic organizer below, prove them with specific scenes or information from the story.
What Shade says or
does to show he deserves this
Characteristics (Proof from the story)