Current Events Project for the Marking Period
Every student this marking period will be responsible for writing about a current event of national, state, or world importance. You may use a newspaper, current magazine, or a reliable internet source. You must provide a printed copy of the news story, and cite the source properly with author’s name, media outlet and date. If you do not have access to any of those media outlets, let me know and I will gladly give you a magazine to select a story from. In order to have stories coming in regularly, weekly due dates will be assigned. You may bring in your news story any day of that week, ending on a Friday. I will accept a news story late, but points will be deducted, if it comes in after the selected date.
Your current event needs to be written on lined paper or typed and must be addressed in this fashion:
- Proper Heading at the top of the paper
- Title, author, date and source of news story
- Summary in paragraph form, of news story (who, what, when, where, why)
- Explain how this current event relates to social studies class.
- Your personal thoughts/analysis about this story in at least three sentences. (After reading about this story, I feel...because…)
This counts as a Quiz Grade.